Raking Leafs

Mixing metaphors and casting cliches about hockey and the Maple Leafs for the ether's pleasure since MCMLXVII.

11/13/2007

Blakegate?

So, the esteemable Sean Avery is at it again. Most everyone who reads this blog has seen the highlights. Tucker and Avery jawing, Blake skating in between the two when contact was made, schoolyard threatening postures, shoulder fakes and stick rattling ensued, followed by an impromptu gathering of both teams' leaders and assorted character guys.

I wonder what Avery and Tucker were talking about? I wonder why Blake went in between the two of them, and why did that incite the festivities?

Tucker deemed Avery classless. Avery has been muzzled by the Rangers, after the game, and the following days since the incident.

Now it is alleged, by Howard Berger according to published reports, that Avery's verbal ammunition included commentary on Blake's health situation. Berger also mentioned an unnamed Rangers player wanted to "strangle" Avery after learning what was said. UPDATE - Berger explains from where the "strangle" quote originated. Rangers Report points out that Brendan Shanahan vehemently denies Avery referred to Blake's cancer.

Avery's response to that claim is a libel suit. UPDATE - released statement "I am extremely upset and hurt that false and damaging comments were attributed to me regarding Jason Blake. I made no such comments. I have lost two grandfathers to cancer and have been a consistent contributor to multiple cancer related charities, first and foremost, Hockey Fights Cancer. I am unable to comment further, as the matter is now being addressed by legal counsel."

Colin Campbell's response to the entire mess, and an earlier pre-game incident involving Avery, is a face to face with the hyperpest himself. UPDATE - Everyone has to pay the piper

And I was just happy collecting three of four points over the weekend. Hopefully JP will chime in with a Rangers' fan take. UPDATE - "I'm on the road and this is the first I've heard of the alleged comment by Avery. Of course, if he said what he's reported to have said, that is beyond low-class. Shame on him."- JP

Apologies for the ____gate title. Lame, I know.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It should be a wake up call to Avery that as soon as it came out most people (including myself) considered his past and immediately thought "Maybe he didn't say that but I definitely wouldn't put it past him".

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger mike said…

    I wonder if Berger will go to jail to protect his source?

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAHAHA on the other hand, considering Berger's article earlier about the leaps in logic that Toronto writers take I wonder if he is making it up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home